Chemo #3

Yesterday Claire and I were busy fighting monsters in her bedroom, armed with cake-squishie bombs and an ice-cream-pillow bludgeon.  She carefully selected our monster-fighting attire.  I was not allowed to wear my beanie with the tiara because "that would look silly!"  (I was going to claim to be the first bald princess, but Google tells me there are several children's books on the subject.)


I must've battled one too many monsters, because last night I spiked a fever of 100.6 -- just high enough to warrant a phone call to the on-call physician.  He didn't seem to care.  I've had a cold for a few days, so that's probably all it is.  I took a Lunesta and went to bed at 7pm.  When I woke up at 2am, my side of the bed was soaking wet from sweat and I was freezing cold.  I had to run around the house collecting blankets to build myself a dry cocoon.  I emerged just before sunset, like a beautiful butterfly, and flew off to chemo.

I was worried that I wouldn't be cleared for chemo, but thankfully the nurse practitioner said I could go ahead.  She gave me an antibiotic just in case I need it.  My doctor never seems to be in the office (today her daughter was sick) but supposedly I get to meet with her next week when I go in for labs.

My mom kept me company during chemo today.  The infusion room was packed -- apparently there's cancer going around.  Instead of a tiara, I wore my new leopard scarf today.  YouTube taught me how to tie a head scarf with a rosette knot.  I like my wig but it's not that comfortable; it's the first thing I take off when I get home (it used to be my pants, now it's my hair).

I stumbled across an amazing charity called The Magic Yarn Project that provides Disney-princess-inspired yarn wigs for children with cancer.  Maybe I can get my mother-in-law to knit me a Belle.

 

Comments

  1. My first thing to take off has always been my bra.
    Hope you are doing ok. Sweat soaked bed doesn’t sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wigs are delightful. I accept the challenge. They have excellent video tutorials on their website, so I will try to make a Belle wig for you. If it is successful, I might try a couple more for the girls.
    I can see that while sometimes you must feel too sick/tired to respond to the girls, at other times they provide smiles and fun...something lighthearted to focus on besides the cancer. And hugs.
    Much love, Mom B

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment